Heat Safety Tips!
July 15, 2020 | Liz DeHart; Glaser’s Collision Center
When the temperature rises, our awareness of our health and well-being should rise too. Here are a few tips you and your family can follow to stay safe this summer.
- STAY INDOORS-During days with extreme heat, stay inside. If you work outdoors, make regular stops for time in air condition or shade.
- FILL YOUR TANK-That’s your own water tank. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- AVOID THE HOTTEST TIME OF DAY-Avoid strenuous activities outdoors during 2:00pm to 7:00pm
- LOOK BEFORE YOU LOCK-Make it a habit. check the back seat of your car every time to ensure you don’t forget children or pets.
- KNOCK AND TALK-Check on your older family members or neighbors. They might need some extra help.
The fastest rise in temperature occurs as soon as you turn off the AC. If the car is parked in the sun, the mercury can rise by more than one degree per minute for the first 30 minutes. This means if you spend half an hour in the store on a 90-degree day, the inside of your car could be around 120 degrees when you return. No one or pet should be left in a car.
To keep your car cooler during this time, follow these tips:
- Park in the shade
- Block the sun using a sun screen at your front windshield
- Roll windows down an inch or two
- Open the sun roof a bit to let the hot air out.
- No shade, park the back of your car toward the sun
During very hot days, you will be running your air conditioner quick a bit. To help cool your car quickly and more efficiently, turn on the re-circulation feature.
When the re-circulation button is on it circulates the air in the cabin instead of pulling air from outside. On hot days, if you do not recirculate the cooler air in the cabin, your A/C system is pulling hot air from outside and trying to cool it. Using the re-circulation feature will get your car cooler and will decrease the wear and tear on your A/C system.
For extra hot days, roll your windows down, turn on your A/C with the re-circulation OFF for the first few minutes. This gets rid of the super hot air. When its cooled a bit, close windows and turn on the re-circulation feature.
Locally Owned and Operated for over 30 Years
Glaser’s Collision Center is committed to providing customers with complete, safe and quality repairs using the latest advancements in technology. Our technicians are highly trained, and our body shops are Gold Class® recognized bringing customers properly repaired vehicles. As a family-owned and operated business for over 30 years, we are committed to taking care of our customers as if they were family. Our customer services representative and estimators are committed to providing our customers with the highest-quality service. Come see us at one of our four locations and let us get you driving again!